One ticket to the Spiritual Axis of Moravia site or location grants access to other objects on the Axis within one calendar year. Click here for more information.
Archbishop’s (formerly Bishop’s) Palace in Olomouc is the largest residential building in the historic centre of Olomouc. It is the fourth of the residences of the bishops of Olomouc. The former renaissance palace was built by Bishop Stanislaus Thurzo. Its baroque style issues from the project initiated by Bishop Karl II von Liechtenstein-Castelcorno in the second half of the 17th century. The palace gained its current look during a reconstruction following a destructive fire in 1904. It currently serves as the main seat of the Archbishop of Olomouc. In 2011 the most recent major reconstruction was completed and the palace is open to the public.
Olomouc Archdiocesan Museum was established in 1997 as a part of the Olomouc Art Museum. It is the first museum in the Czech Republic with specialisation on ecclesiastical art and collections. Since 1999 the northern part of the former castle and chapter deanery was gradually adapted to serve as the headquarters of the museum, including the former yard. Since early Middle Ages until the 19th century, the residence of the chapter deans of Olomouc, which now forms the core of the museum, had gradually taken over several originally separate-standing objects. Among them, the Zdík Palace holds a special position – it is the palace of the Moravian bishops, with an ambit and chapter house, which was built between 1139 and 1141 near the Basilica of St. Wenceslas. After a fire in the late 13th century, the Romanesque palace received its gothic cloisters and cloister garden.
Archbishop’s Chateau and Gardens in Kroměříž belongs to the most important chateau complexes in the Czech Republic. Its history is connected to the bishops and archbishops of Olomouc, especially to their spiritual, political, administrative, and artistic ambitions. The chateau had been gradually adopted to fit all these purposes, from an early medieval castle through renaissance palace to a baroque complex of a fortified residence with two ornamental gardens – the Palace Garden and the Flower Garden. The greatest boom of the archiepiscopal projects came during the episcopacy of Bishop Karl II von Liechtenstein-Castelcorno, and his efforts continued in the activities of many other bishops and archbishops of Olomouc, who came after him. Nowadays the chateau is managed by the National Heritage Institute, which coordinates the restoration and care, and also opens the individual objects, visitor routes, and exhibitions to the public.