The project is based on the collaboration between municipalities, communities, parishes, Evangelical Church, the Archbishopric of Olomouc, and the Zlín Region. Over the years it has become one of the traditional parts of tourism in the Zlín Region. The Open Gates present ecclesiastical heritage sites that invite visitors to learn about the historical, spiritual, and architectural context. Each of the churches is unique and each of them captivates with its specific genius loci.
The churches are open free of charge between May and end of September on dates agreed with the local parishes. Most of the churches open on weekends only, some are opened on all weekdays; the opening hours may also vary according to the number of visitors in the different parts of the season. The tours are guided by volunteers – mostly students or active seniors, and the visitors enjoy sharing the guides’ enthusiasm and pride of presenting “their” church and the place where they live.
The Zlín Region, in collaboration with the East Moravian Tourism Agency, coordinates the entire project, publishes information leaflets, and promotes the project at travel fair trades and events.
Click here to view the map of the churches included in the project.
Click here for the overview of monuments included in the project.
The Zlín Region is a place of rich cultural variety and ecclesiastical objects form one of its elements. The churches involved in the Open Gates project offer an opportunity of learning about their architectural and spiritual riches, as well as about their unique stories. They are attractive tourist destinations, but also places of quiet contemplation and meditation.
Monuments included in the project in 2015:
· Kroměříž: Church of St. Moritz, Church of St. John Baptist, Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary
· Holešov: Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary and Affiliated church of St. Anne
· Chropyně: Church of St. Giles
· Lešná u Valašského Meziříčí: Church of St. Michael the Archangel
· Luhačovice: Church of the Holy Family
· Pozlovice: Church of St. Martin
· Provodov: Church of Virgin Mary of the Snow
· Rajnochovice: Church of the Birth of Virgin Mary and St. Anne
· Rožnov pod Radhoštěm: Church of All Saints
· Střílky: Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary
· Svatý Hostýn: Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary (Bystřice pod Hostýnem and Chvalčov)
· Tečovice: Church of St. James the Greater
· Uherské Hradiště: Church of St. Francis Xavier
· Uherský Brod: Church of the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary
· Polešovice: Church of St. Peter and Paul
· Velehrad: Basilica of the Assumption of Virgin Mary and St. Cyril and Methodius
· Velká Lhota: wooden Tolerance Church
· Velké Karlovice: Church of Virgin Mary of the Snow
· Vsetín: Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary
· Zašová: Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary
· Zlín: Church of St. Philip and James, Evangelical church
· Zlín-Štípa: Pilgrimage Church of the Birth of Virgin Mary