The gallery supports the presentation of contemporary Czech and foreign artists, especially young, and provides space for a mutual dialogue.
The building was erected between 1893 and 1904 by Archbishop Theodor Kohn on the land of an old episcopal mill. It was used to operate the water management systems and machinery in the chateau gardens and parks. Later, it served as a so-called Orlovna – a public gymnasium of the Orel catholic athletic association. In the past decades the building was unused and abandoned, and its interiors dilapidated.
The building consists of two separate spaces. The “Orlovna” part has been used as a gallery since 2008, and the “Water House”, which features the original technology, is waiting for a major reconstruction. The purpose of the project was to connect both these parts and to create a modern multifunctional cultural space for hosting exhibitions, performances, and small musical productions while preserving the character of the place and the rare technical equipment that is contained within. The project was designed by the students of the Spatial Creations Studio of the Faculty of Multimedia Communication, Tomas Bata University in Zlin.
More information about the building, the current exhibitions, opening hours and admission fees can be found here: http://www.galerie-orlovna.cz/