The Chateau Garden was established after 1509 and over the centuries it was modified several times, reflecting the changing historical styles and fashions. From a kitchen garden with fruit orchard it was converted to a grand-scale English landscape garden in the 17th century, before being enlarged to the impressive size of 64 hectares in 1850. There are over 200 different species of trees and shrubs from all over Europe, America, and Asia.
The early days of the garden reach back to the Late Medieval Period and Early Renaissance – during the episcopacy of bishops Stanislaus Thurzo, Wilhelm Prusinovsky, and Stanislaus Pavlovsky the standard kitchen garden was established with a small game reserve and an ornamental garden with several fountains and a flower borders.
The main design and construction boom came with the highly educated Bishop Karl von Liechtenstein-Castelcorno in the second half of the 17th century. The new bishop came to a town that was recovering from the terrors of the Thirty Years’ War, and besides many large reconstruction projects he concentrated on the construction of two ornamental gardens – the Pleasure (Flower) Garden, and the Chateau Garden.
Year 1777 was very important for the Olomouc archdiocese. The bishopric was promoted to archbishopric with Anton Theodor Colloredo-Waldsee as the first archbishop. He launched an original redesign of the Chateau Garden, which featured both the formal rococo parterre and the designed landscape park with a number of unusual structures reflecting Greek, Chinese, Turkish, and other styles. The redesigning of the garden took approximately 10 years (1790–1800).
However, the most radical change came in the first third of the 19th century with the new archbishop Ferdinand Maria Chotek, who commissioned architect Anton Arche to create a concept of transformation from a sentimental garden into a romantic park inspired by the works of German landscape designer prince Hermann von Pückler. Chotek died before the garden was finished and the project continued under his successor Maximilian Joseph Sommerau-Beckh, which resulted in the combination of two main period concepts reflecting in the garden – the romantic relation to nature expressed through the design of the landscape park, and Arche’s neo-classicist and ancient-style architecture.
The second half of the 19th century brought several smaller adjustments to the Chateau Garden. The main ones included the reconstruction of the main entrance and the construction of a new monumental stairway leading to the garden.